A Yellowstone-Themed Getaway in Culpeper, Virginia
Photo Credit: Reformed Photography
Most of us have had the chance to watch Paramount Networks’ hit series, Yellowstone, and have been dreaming of what it might be like to live on one of the largest ranches in Montana. Wide open spaces, rodeos, cattle drives, county fairs, and cowboys, what isn’t there to like? You don’t have to travel thousands of miles to sleep in a bunkhouse, go to a rodeo, or find your inner cowboy; plan your Yellowstone – themed getaway in Culpeper, Virginia now where many of your dreams can come true.
The first step in your adventure will be to select a unique farm stay to hang your hat at the end of each day. Here are a few unique overnight farm accommodations to consider:
- Cabin at Cibola Farms – Cibola Farms is a 400-head bison operation with both retail and wholesale bison meat sales, including a retail store at the farm, farmer’s markets, and online sales. This cabin is nestled in the woods making it a perfect secluded getaway spot.
- Cedar Mountain Farm Guest Cottage – Nestled on 112 acres in the Virginia Piedmont foothills, Cedar Mountain Farm is a piece of American history and an operational farm. The guest house is a mid-century modern dwelling that sleeps up to two guests.
- Horse Barn, Bunkhouse & Manor House Farm Stay at Spring Haven Farm – This retreat venue can host up to 36 guests throughout the four guest houses on the property. The 1940s bunkhouse sleeps up to 16 guests. If you are really looking to get an authentic cowboy experience, this is the option for you. If you are looking for a bit more luxury you can choose to stay at the farm’s Manor House.
- Graves Mountain Lodge – This rustic mountain retreat is known for its down-home hospitality, not to mention all the home-cooked food you can eat, unrivaled natural beauty, and a wide range of outdoor activities. This farm can accommodate 2 – 22 guests including rustic cabins and cottages for two or a large family, or their Hilltop and Ridgecrest country motels.
- Liberty Hall Plantation – Book your farm stay at the pond cottage at Liberty Hall Plantation and enjoy sipping coffee the front porch overlooking their beautiful pond and family owned and run cattle ranch.
More Farm stays to consider nearby:
- Rose River Farm – This farm has three beautiful yurt-like cabins. Guests can sip their coffee on the porch as they take in the mountain views and fresh air. Rose River Farm offers exclusive fly fishing access for trophy trout along Virginia’s pristine Rose River in Madison County VA and has access to a local outfitter who can provide horses for trail rides into the National Park. The stable is less than 2 miles from the cabins.
- Lucky Star Farm – This charming farmhouse is all yours when you rent it for your stay. Sitting on a beautiful 124-acre acre cattle farm it is just a short drive away from historic downtown Culpeper, wineries, and breweries. Need we say more?
Plan to attend one or several of these upcoming events during your visit so you can see and experience first-hand a rodeo, cattle drive, livestock auctions, and more!
- Cattle Drive Weekend at Andora Farm (April – October)
- Horse Shows at HITS Commonwealth Park (April – October)
- Livestock sales at Culpeper Agriculture Center (Year-round)
Farm Stores, Experiences & Farmers Markets
There are plenty more local farms, farm stores, and farm markets you can add to your Yellowstone-themed getaway bucket list while you are in Culpeper. Here are just a few more to consider.
- Auburn Farm Sunflower Patch – Open seasonally – Pick your own sunflowers.
- Bees & Trees Farm – Open year-round – Farm store & Christmas Tree Farm.
- Charming Hill Farm – Open year-round (Appointment required) – Farm tours, Goat Cuddling, overnight camping & private events.
- Culpeper Downtown Farmers Market – Open seasonally April – November.
- Gobbler Hill Farm – Farm store, plant nursery & special events.
- Oak Shade Farm – Open year-round – Farm store, tree farm, and plant nursery.
- Seek Lavender Farm – Farm store & hands-on workshops.
- Three Springs Farm – One of the few regenerative farms in Virginia, this veteran-owned business can be found most weekends at the Culpeper Farmers Market and also offers online orders to be shipped right to you too.
- Virginia Bison Company – Open year-round – Farm tour & farm store.
Farm Wineries, Breweries & Distillery
Don’t forget to check out the local, award-winning, farm breweries, wineries, and distilleries. You can try your hand at finding a beer that matches the tastes of Rip Wheeler and the other cowboys in the bunkhouse or sip to find the perfect bourbon Beth and John Dutton might prefer.