Little Fork Episcopal Church
Members of the Little Fork congregation were among the Culpeper Minute Men who heeded Governor Patrick Henry’s call-to-arms in 1775. Early in the Civil War, the church grounds were used as a drill field by the Little Fork Rangers; the Rangers became Company D of the 4th Virginia Cavalry. Later, as the War moved south, Union troops quartered at the church and in the harsh winter of 1863-64 destroyed most of the interior furnishings for firewood. After the War, a contrite Union officer sent $100 to the old church and stipulated that it be used for new pews, presumably to replace those vandalized for campfires. But, once again, Little Fork Church rose from the ashes to remind us that faith and fortitude can prevail.