Crooked Run Baptist Church
Crooked Run Baptist Church was organized in 1772 and is named for the stream that flows nearby. James Garnett Sr., one of the early pastors, served the congregation from 1774 until close to his death in 1830. Another member, Thomas Ammon, became a minister and was imprisoned in the Culpeper jail for preaching in the late 1700s. The first meeting of the Orange Baptist Association occurred here in 1789. At first the members met in a meeting house, but by 1856 they had built a brick structure. This church was destroyed by a fire in 1910 and rebuilt the same year using the remains of the brick walls. Crooked Run is located 10 miles south of Culpeper on Rte. 15, near Rapidan.