The Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant program is made possible through a Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). The CDBG grant enables Culpeper to help businesses in the Town and County of Culpeper to pay their rent or mortgage. Each business is eligible for up to $10,000 or six months of rent/mortgage costs (whichever is reached first).
This is a reimbursement grant. If awarded this grant, you will be required to supply proof of payment and supporting documentation. Once proof of payment has been received and approved, the business will be reimbursed for their rent/mortgage costs (mortgage principal and interest only) . Each business is eligible for up to $10,000 or six months (whichever is reached first).
$10,000 or Six Months
Example – Business TOC rents a space on Davis Street. The monthly rent is $2,000. Business TOC applies for and receives a Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant, with the maximum award amount of $10,000 or six months rent/mortgage. Business TOC submits proof of payment for five months and is reimbursed by the Culpeper Recovers grant program. Math: $10,000 award divided by $2,000 monthly rent equals five months. Or: 10,000/2,000 = 5.
Alternate example – Business CC rents a space in the Culpeper Colonnade shopping center. The monthly rent is $1,500. Business CC applies for and receives a Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant, with the maximum award amount of $10,000 or six months rent/mortgage. Business CC submits proof of payment for six months and is reimbursed by the Culpeper Recovers grant program. Math: $10,000 award divided by $1,500 monthly rent equals six and two/thirds months. Or: 10,000/1,500 = 6.66. Since the maximum award is $10,000 or six months, Business CC is reimbursed $9,000 which covered six months of their rent.
The Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant program is committed to reaching SWaM businesses (Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned). Businesses need not be SWaM certified, however preference will be given to those that are. For more information on SWaM Certification, please visit: SWaM – Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity
In order to be eligible for the Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant, your business must meet each of the following criteria:
- Applicants must be an operating business with a physical business location within Culpeper County, Virginia
- Applicant business must have opened prior to March 1, 2020
- Applicant must be locally or regionally owned
- Applicant must have between 0-20 full-time equivalent employees
- Applicant must be current on applicable Culpeper taxes and business license fees as of March 15, 2021
- Applicant must have been impacted by COVID-19
- Applicant must provide local or regional services, including those in the program’s areas of emphasis:
- a. Tourism related business
- b. Accommodations (i.e. hotel, motel, bed and breakfast, inn, Airbnb),
- c. Agritourism (farm with retail shop and or consumer services),
- d. Restaurants/Food Service
- e. Professional services (i.e. banking, legal, design, real estate),
- f. Cultural, Educational, Instruction services,
- g. Arts, Entertainment,
- h. Recreation,
- i. Retail
- j. Healthcare/Wellness
- k. Personal Care (i.e. beauty/barbershop, nail salon, dry cleaner, spa)
The following are ineligible:
- Home based businesses
- Nonprofit organizations
- Businesses previously awarded a Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant
Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant Interest Form
Please click here to complete the grant interest form. This is NOT the grant application. We will use the information captured in the interest form to notify you when the grant application opens. This is a required step in the process. The application will be an online form, which you have to be invited to. This interest form generates your invitation.
Lenderfit will send you an email with an invitation to apply. The email may take a day to arrive and it often goes into one's spam/junk folder so be sure to check there as well as your inbox.
Online Application Process – Getting Prepared
Please take the time to be sure you can gather the necessary paperwork to apply. This will include, but not be limited to:
- Federal DUNS number
- a. For those businesses who do not yet have a DUNS number, the following process can be used in order to acquire the number. Go to www.dnb.com/govtduns. Once the link is open, click on “Federal Government Contractors or Grantees DUNS Number Support” at the bottom. Apply for new DUNS number. While it can take up to five (5) business days, requestors usually receive the DUNS numbers within two (2) days via email.
- Federal Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or your Social Security Number (SSN) – whichever applies to your business
- Lease, Mortgage, or Rent statement
- a. Lease documentation – please be sure to have a copy of your original lease and all extensions/renewals/addendums on hand and signed by both parties
- Federal IRS form W-9
You should prepare to have the following information on hand for the application:
- Payroll expenses
- 2019 Monthly Revenue data
- 2020 Monthly Revenue data
- All COVID-19 related grants, loans and sources of revenue information on hand (amount awarded/secured and dates)
Once you have received award notification, you will need to organize and collect the following documentation in order to submit for reimbursement, including, but not limited to:
- Mortgage Statement
- Lease agreement(s) – original, renewals, addendums
- Rent Statement
- Proof of payment
- a. Cancelled Checks
- b. Credit card statements
- c. Online bill pay transaction history
- d. Bank Statements
Note: Once a remittance is approved by DHCD, businesses can expect to receive payment within 30 days (assuming all of the supporting documentation is in order).
Example – Business TOC is awarded a Culpeper Recovers grant. They receive their award notification in early March 2021. Business TOC then takes the following steps to begin securing their reimbursements:
- Step One: Business TOC reviews and signs the Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant | Award Acceptance Agreement Letter, and submits via LenderFit
- Step Two: Business TOC collects a copy of their original lease agreement from 2015 (signed by both parties), and their lease renewal agreement, signed by both parties in 2020.
- Step Three: Business TOC downloads copies of their January 2021, February 2021, and March 2021 bank statements proving they paid their monthly rent for January 2021, February 2021, and March 2021.
- Step Four: Business TOC uploads all documents from Step Two and Step Three into LenderFit
- Step Five: Business TOC receives notification from LenderFit that their reimbursement request has been received
- Step Six: Business TOC continues to operate their business and paying their monthly rent for April, May, June
- Step Seven: Business TOC receives their first reimbursement check from the Culpeper Recovers grant program
- Step Eight: Business TOC continues to upload monthly proof of rent payments until they reach $10,000 or six months (whichever occurs first)
- Step Nine: Business TOC receives subsequent reimbursement checks for up to $10,000 or six months (whichever occurs first)
This is an example of how a business might benefit from and be processed through the Culpeper Recovers grant program. Once awarded the grant, businesses will be eligible to immediately start submitting reimbursement documentation for rent/mortgage. The Culpeper Recovers grant program can reimburse paid rent/mortgage expenses as far back as April 2020. However, all recipients will be required to acknowledge and attest to non-duplication of Federal CARES act money. This means, if your business received any Federal CARES act money prior to receiving the Culpeper Recovers grant, you cannot submit for rent/mortgage reimbursements for months that were previously covered by alternative Federal CARES act money.
Example - Business CC received two rounds of the Culpeper Cares grants in August 2020 and then again in October 2020. Business CC used the Culpeper Cares money to cover rent/mortgage expenses for April 2020 – October 2020. Business CC applies for and receives a Culpeper Recovers grant. Business CC takes the proper steps to accept the Culpeper Recovers grant, and then submits requisite reimbursement documentation for November 2020 rent, December 2020 rent, January 2021 rent, February 2021 rent, March 2021 rent and April 2021 rent through the Culpeper Recovers grant program.
The Town of Culpeper Tourism and Economic Development department has contracted Community Investment Collaborative to assist with the implementation of the Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant program. The Town of Culpeper Tourism and Economic Development department retains program oversight and management authority. Department of Tourism and Economic Development can be reached at 540-727-611 or by email: CulpeperRecovers@culpeperva.gov
Grievances: write the grant program director: Paige Read, Town of Culpeper, Director of Economic Development and Tourism, 400 S. Main Street, Culpeper, VA 22701. Email: email@example.com.