Spring 2022 | Final Round
To-date the Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant has awarded over $850,000 to Culpeper businesses. The Spring 2022 round has approximately $250,000 to award.
Interest Form Opens: Tuesday, March 1, 2022
Application Opens: Thursday, March 10, 2022
Application Deadline: Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST
The Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant program is made possible through a Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). The CDBG grant enables Culpeper to help businesses and 501c3 non-profit organizations in the Town and County of Culpeper through rent or mortgage reimbursement relief. Each business or 501c3 organization is eligible for up to $15,000 or six months of rent/mortgage costs (whichever is reached first).
This is a reimbursement grant. Businesses and organizations are required to supply proof of payment and supporting documentation in order to be eligible. The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development grants final approval for each applicant. This process adds to the length of turnaround time for processing reimbursements.
Average approval time is currently running 90+ days from application completion notification. Be prepared to answer additional follow up questions during the reimbursement process.
$15,000 or Six Months
Example – Business TOC rents a space on Davis Street. The monthly rent is $3,000. Business TOC applies for the grant, submitting proof of payment for five months. Math: $15,000 award divided by $3,000 monthly rent equals five months. Or: 15,000/3,000 = 5.
Alternate example – Business CC rents a space in the Culpeper Colonnade shopping center. The monthly rent is $1,500. Business CC applies for the grant, submitting proof of payment for six months. Math: $15,000 award divided by $1,500 monthly rent equals ten months. Or: 15,000/1,500 = 10. Since the maximum award is $15,000 or six months, Business CC is only eligible to be reimbursed $9,000 which covers the maximum length of six months.
NOTE: Each applicant is ultimately reviewed and approved by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). DHCD reviews mortgage and lease documentation to qualify the reimbursement amount. Items to note:
- Mortgage Applicants – principal and interest only – meaning if a portion of your monthly mortgage payment covers escrow for taxes and insurance, that portion of your monthly payment will be removed – please do the math when calculating your reimbursement request
- Lease Applicants - be sure your documents are signed by both parties and the dates cover the months you are submitting for reimbursement
The Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant program is committed to reaching SWaM businesses (Small, Women-owned, and Minority-owned). Businesses and organizations need not be SWaM certified, however preference will be given to those that are. For more information on SWaM Certification, please visit: SWaM – Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity
In order to be eligible for the Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant, your business or 501c3 organization must meet each of the following criteria:
- Applicants must be an operating business or organization within Culpeper County, Virginia
- Applicant business must have opened prior to March 1, 2020
- Applicant must be locally or regionally owned
- Applicant must have between 0-20 full-time equivalent employees
- Applicant must be current on applicable Culpeper taxes and business license fees as of March 1, 2022
- Applicant must have been impacted by COVID-19
- Applicant must provide local or regional services, including those in the program’s areas of emphasis:
a. Tourism related business
b. Accommodations (i.e. hotel, motel, bed and breakfast, inn, Airbnb)
c. Farms and Agritourism (farm with retail shop and or consumer services)
d. Restaurants/Food Service
e. Professional services (i.e. banking, legal, design, real estate)
f. Cultural, Educational, Instruction services
g. Arts, Entertainment
k. Personal Care (i.e. beauty/barbershop, nail salon, dry cleaner, spa)
l. 501c3 Non-Profit Organizations
m. Commercial leasing
New for Spring 2022 Final Round:
- Home-based business are eligible to apply! Home-based operations are only eligible to receive up to 25% of monthly rent/mortgage.
Example: Monthly mortgage (principal and interest only) is $2,200. Twenty-Five percent eligibility of each month up to $15,000 or six months, whichever is reached first.
Math: $2,200 per month X 0.25 = $550. Maximum award: $550 X six months = $3,300.
The following are ineligible:
- Businesses previously awarded a Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant are not eligible to apply again.
Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant Interest Form
Please click here to complete the grant interest form. This is NOT the grant application. This is a required step in the process. The application will be an online form, which you have to be invited to. This interest form generates your invitation.
Lenderfit will send you an email with an invitation to apply. The email may take a day to arrive and it often goes into one's spam/junk folder so be sure to check there as well as your inbox.
Online Application Process – Getting Prepared
Please take the time to be sure you can gather the necessary paperwork to apply. This will include, but not be limited to:
1. Federal DUNS or UEI number
2. Federal Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or your Social Security Number (SSN) – whichever applies to your business
3. Lease, Mortgage, or Rent statement
Lease documentation – please be sure to have a copy of your original lease and all extensions/renewals/addendums on hand and signed by both parties – partial documentation will not be approved
NOTE: If your documents are not signed by both parties, they will not be approved
NOTE: Dates on Proofs of Payments MUST BE COVERED in Dates in Terms of Lease – if your lease document does not cover the months you submit for proof of payment, you will not be approved
4. Federal IRS form W-9
5. Rent/Mortgage proof of payment documents for up to $10,000 or six months
Acceptable forms of Proof of Payment
a. Cancelled Checks
NOTE: You must upload both the front and back of each cancelled check
b. Credit card statements
c. Online bill pay transaction history
NOTE: Proofs of payment MUST include the name of the payee (mortgage provider or landlord)
You should prepare to have the following information on hand for the written portion of the application:
- Payroll expenses
- 2019 Monthly Revenue data
- 2020 Monthly Revenue data
- 2021 Monthly Revenue data
- All COVID-19 related grants, loans and sources of revenue information on hand (amount awarded/secured and dates)
The Culpeper Recovers grant program can reimburse paid rent/mortgage expenses as far back as April 2020. However, all recipients will be required to acknowledge and attest to non-duplication of Federal CARES act money. This means, if your business received any Federal CARES act money prior to receiving the Culpeper Recovers grant, you cannot submit for rent/mortgage reimbursements for months that were previously covered by alternative Federal CARES act money.
Once you received application completion notification through Lenderfit, you can expect your final award approval and reimbursement check within roughly 90+ days. Be prepared to answer additional follow up questions during the reimbursement process.
The Town of Culpeper Tourism and Economic Development department has contracted Community Investment Collaborative to assist with the implementation of the Culpeper Recovers SWaM Business Grant program. The Town of Culpeper Tourism and Economic Development department retains program oversight and management authority. Department of Tourism and Economic Development can be reached at 540-727-0611 or by email: CulpeperRecovers@culpeperva.gov
Grievances: write the grant program director: Paige Read, Town of Culpeper, Director of Economic Development and Tourism, 400 S. Main Street, Culpeper, VA 22701. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.