Mount-Pony-Signal-Station

Mount Pony Signal Station



In August 1862, during the Civil War, Union Major General John Pope established a signal station on Mount Pony, just northeast of Culpeper. On the summit of the mountain, a high scaffold was constructed out of trees for an observation post and a communication center. Because of the good visibility, "powerful glasses" were used to watch troop movements from this vantage point. Both the Federal and Confederate Signal Corps used this site during the war. Other signal stations were built by the Union army on Stony Mountain, Cedar Mountain, Thoroughfare Mountain, and Clark's Mountain. Today, just east of Route 29 along Route 3, this former signal station is the site of the Library of Congress’ National Audio Visual Conservation Center.

Amentities

  •  Free Admission
  •  Free Parking
  •  Handicap Accessible
  •  Takes Reservations
  •  Public Restrooms